Do you want to lose weight and don’t really know how to go about it? To lose weight permanently, it is better to make some dietary adjustments and some exercises rather than depriving yourself unnecessarily.
You can successfully lose a few pounds on two conditions: change your eating habits and increase your physical activity. If you do not practice any physical exercise today, it is not necessarily a question of playing sports, but a daily walk or a little swimming each week can already do a lot.
Warning! If you need to lose five pounds or more, go see a doctor or dietician because you need regular monitoring.
The basic rules for losing weight
To change your diet, you must moderately reduce calorie intake, ie first fats, and fast sugars. It is absolutely necessary to respect good food practices (see “The guide to good food practices”) by adding a few simple rules.
- Do not skip meals, especially breakfast, which must remain plentiful. Have a light meal in the evening;
- Do not eat anything apart from meals. If you are hungry between meals, drink a large glass of water, coffee, or tea without sugar. Drink also before the meal and in the middle of the meal;
- Continue to eat starchy foods at each meal: pasta, rice, potatoes, or bread. They provide a feeling of satiety and provide the energy you need, as well as fiber. On the other hand, everything that accompanies them is to be limited: fatty sauces, butter, cheese, fresh cream, etc. It is, therefore, necessary to consume these starchy foods alone or with a seasoning without sugar or fat;
- Eliminate sugary carbonated drinks;
- Eliminate alcohol and beer. You can continue to drink wine, preferably red, limiting yourself to one glass a day;
- Avoid eating outside your home because it is more difficult to control your diet. In restaurants, it is sometimes possible, with friends it is more difficult… If you have a good meal together, you must then try to reduce the quantities and above all never refill a dish;
- Choose lean meats and favor poultry, without the skin, fish, and shellfish;
- Beware of hidden fats: avoid all meats in sauce, fatty cold cuts, gratins rich in milk, butter or cream, gruyère and eggs, fried foods, pastries and pastries, sweets and chocolate, ice creams, cakes appetizers;
- Eat vegetables at will and in all their forms: raw, cooked, in soup;
- Eat two fruits a day, but no more;
Favorite foods to lose weight
Meats: grilled or roasted;
Fish: grilled, cooked in the oven or in the microwave, or en papillote;
Vegetables: steamed, stewed, or microwaved;
Compose seasonings and sauces as low in fat as possible: put a little oil, butter, or cream, then use lemon, yogurt, stock cube, and soy sauce, and finally the season to taste with aromatic herbs and spices.
How to lose weight permanently?
To lose weight, you have to rely on a few solid principles:
- Give yourself time, at least a month to lose 2 to 3 kilos;
- Prevent cravings and fatigue;
- Keep to the rules set at the start;
- Avoid vitamin and mineral deficiencies;
- Do not use drugs or special diet foods;
- Keep eating as much fun as possible.
- To lose weight, determination above all!
- While respecting these nutritional rules, to lose weight it is good to know how to choose the foods with the least energy. It is therefore useful to know roughly the nutritional value of some common foods (see “find out the nutritional value of foods”).
You just have to be determined and not give in to all the temptations. The first week is often difficult but the first kilo lost is encouraging! However, small deviations are permitted provided they are exceptional. It’s up to you to find a balance without becoming obsessed with food and frustrated. Otherwise, you risk breaking down and starting to snack impulsively, then feeling guilty and going back to depriving yourself, and thus falling into a totally unproductive cycle in relation to your weight loss goal!