Diabetes is a real epidemic that affects 425 million people worldwide, including nearly 4 million in France. The main causes of diabetes? Poor diet and lack of physical activity. Good news: it is possible to act on the causes of type 2 diabetes to limit its effects and age in better health.
Diabetes: a global epidemic, the evil of the century
In 2015 in France, nearly 3.7 million people were taking treatment for diabetes, according to the Health Insurance report “Expenses and products for the year 2018”. To this figure are added the diabetics who are unaware of themselves. A prevalence that continues to increase in France, especially among young people and the elderly. Worldwide, and according to the International Diabetes Federation, there are 425 million people affected. This qualifies the phenomenon as a real pandemic, because the progression is considerable: the WHO predicts 622 million diabetics by 2040.
Do we die of diabetes? Unfortunately, yes ! A person dies of diabetes every 6 seconds in the world, more than AIDS, tuberculosis or malaria!
Diabetes, what is it exactly?
There are two forms of diabetes:
Diabete Type 1:
also called insulin-dependent, it concerns about 10% of diabetics and requires medical treatment. Its origin is partly genetic and hereditary, so it is difficult to act on its causes.
Diabete Type 2:
insulin resistance affects more than 90% of diabetics and it is mainly on this form of diabetes that it is possible to intervene thanks to a better lifestyle.
The causes of type 2 diabetes center around sugar. Indeed, type 2 diabetes is a pathology caused by an excess of sugar in the blood and therefore a level of glucose (glycaemia) that is too high. During a meal, the blood sugar level increases and the pancreas detects this increase in blood sugar. The cells of the pancreas then secrete insulin allowing glucose to enter the body and be stored there. Glucose then decreases in the blood. In diabetes, this regulatory system malfunctions.
Poor diet, overweight, even obesity, lack of physical activity, sedentary lifestyle, are the main causes of type 2 diabetes in France. Present in too large quantities in the body, sugar can become a real poison for the body. During its evolution, diabetes can even cause serious complications for the heart, blood vessels, eyes, kidneys.
How to protect yourself from diabetes? Good control of the disease through diet and physical activity can therefore considerably reduce these risks.
how to protect yourself from Diabetes:
Prevent type 2 diabetes
Diet and diabetes: balancing blood sugar
How to fight type 2 diabetes on your plate? There is no specific diet for diabetics, nor any prohibited foods. But a balanced diet helps keep blood sugar levels stable and reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes. Preventing diabetes through diet requires eating well, either:
- Drink 1.5 liters of water a day
- limit sugary, flavored or alcoholic drinks because they are very caloric
- eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables a day for the carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fiber; they contain pieces of bread, cereals, starchy foods and pulses: rich in carbohydrates, vegetable proteins, fibers, they must be eaten at every meal for the energy they provide
- dairy products: at each meal for animal proteins, fats, calcium, vitamin d, applicable to the body. And if possible, skimmed or semi-skimmed because they are unsweetened
- meat, fish and eggs: they provide the body with the necessary proteins, fats and iron, once or twice a day
- fat: provide fatty acids, vitamins a and e. limit them to one or two tablespoons of oil/day, and rather of vegetable origin
- sugary products: beware, danger! To be consumed occasionally and, if possible, at mealtimes.
- Diabetic physical activity recommendation: at least 30 min/day
- Can sport cure diabetes? As part of the prevention of diabetes and the treatment of type 2 diabetes, practicing at least 30 minutes of daily physical activity is essential. This helps prevent diabetes by:
- lower blood sugar and better control it
- regulate your weight
- balance blood pressure and cholesterol, which helps reduce possible complications of diabetes
- increase flexibility and resistance to effort
- improve sleep, reduce anxiety and feel healthier
- also reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease